Monday, July 30, 2012

Fitness and Food for Thought Thursdays-WERQ!

So I'm normally pretty boring when it comes to my workout routines and I've stuck to what I've always known: running, weights, and a little elliptical and spining thrown in for variety. Let's just say I am not the most coordinated of ladies so thus why my workouts have aligned accordingly.

I admittedly did try a little Zumba for a while which was fun even though I looked like a disaster.  However, my favorite part of Zumba was always when the instructor would throw in a few popular songs to mix it up.  I always got more into the dances when I recognized the music and let go of my insecurities a little more thus likely getting a better workout.

So imagine my excitement when the Spring class schedule at my gym was released and had a new class being introduced called WERQ!  WERQ could be compared to Zumba, but its not.  Zumba takes Latin and salsa dancing influences and teaches them in easy steps while WERQ takes moves from popular songs on the radio and repeats them in a easy to learn and follow format.

The first class was a hit and now it is my favorite class at the gym.  I typically just have fun and hardly even watch the clock yet I'm often quite tired at the end as well.  My friends often make fun of me as when songs that I've done dances to in WERQ come on the radio, I'll start breaking out my dance moves.  And the range of songs they do is fun: from Carly Rae Jepson's Call Me Maybe to Kelly Clarkson's Stronger to Nikki Minaj and Starships. And trust me, the moves are easy.  I am far and beyond the least coordinated person in the world and I've been able to pick it up pretty easily.

It really is a great and fun workout and I recommend checking out the gym by you to see if they have it.  Here is some information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXO91bv0iCk

https://www.facebook.com/werqout

No comments:

Post a Comment